My son is no exception.
He doesn't always say "I love you". But, I know he loves me and I don't question it. I know it with everything in me.
Because
he melts into my arms when I rock him. Because he stares into my eyes
with a look of trust. Because he comes to me first when he is scared or
hurt, happy or excited. Because he puts his tiny hand on my shoulder and
pats my back. Because he grabs my face and smooches my cheek. Because
he checks to make sure I'm watching him when he's showing off or trying something new. Because he saves his best and his worst
moments for me.
He loves me.
The
other day at lunch, he whispered something to me as I took a sip
of water. I had to ask him to repeat himself in a louder voice and when
he did, he smiled and said "I love you, Mama."
I knew this to be true, but there was something so very special about him saying those 4 little words to me out of the blue.
All
too often, too much emphasis is put on words. Little ones teach us and
remind us that sometimes words aren't necessary....that sometimes
actions really do speak louder.
And yet sometimes, words are good. They are welcomed and celebrated.
They are a gift.
I love you, too, my sweet boy.


No comments:
Post a Comment